[Teammetrics-discuss] Some names need to be sorted out

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sun Jan 12 09:33:33 UTC 2014

Hi Sukhbir,

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 01:10:57PM -0500, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> > need to be normalised.  Please be so kind and also check other graphs
> > for things like this since I might have overlooked others.
>
> Looking at the graphs, I have come across many other names also that can
> be updated, but:
>
> *. Some names are in lower case but some people prefer their names like
> this so I guess we can let them be like that? Or I am assuming that they
> all write their name in lower case :)

I had some confirmation from gregor hermann that he will not really mind
if we would choose an upper case initial letter.  I think the acceptance
of our stats will not really decrease if we would normalise also the
writing and if you are motivated to change this generally I'd be fine
with this.  In any case we should make sure that we count every
contribution from a single person.

> *. There are some authors that are using pseudonyms in the "From" field
> but on searching the names in the corresponding mailing list, I find
> that they have put their name in the signatures. But I am not motivated
> to fix this because: a). I think they wanted to keep their pseudonyms.
> b). It will not be possible to automate this.

While I personally think that using the pseudonym in the From field is
not really a matter of obfuscation just some personal style (strictly
speaking if we keep our "First name + first letter of last name" marks
it might be more obfuscated than a frequently used pseudonym, the main
point is that we will find all contributions of the same person (same as
above).  So if the person is always consistently using the pseudonym
that's fine for me.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--