[tryton-debian] Best practice: .egg-info with pybuild from git

Mathias Behrle mathiasb at m9s.biz
Fri Nov 22 12:50:35 UTC 2013

* Piotr Ożarowski: " Re: Best practice:  .egg-info  with pybuild from
  git" (Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:56:05 +0100):

@Piotr: apologies for first not sending the mail to the group, but your mail
address

> [Thomas Goirand, 2013-11-21]
> > On 11/21/2013 08:28 PM, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > > So finally I would appreciate any input on
> > >
> > > 1) Which is the preferred procedure to handle .egg-info directories
> > > together with building from git?
> > >
> > > 2) Is there a way to satisfy all common build tools as debuild,
> > >    git-buildpackage, pbuilder, when running the build more than once?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mathias
> >
> > Hi Mathias,
> >
> > Thanks for raising this important topic.
> >
> > I've seen all sorts of ways to fix this problem. What I found the most
> > easy was to simply add:
> >
> > extend-diff-ignore = "^[^/]*[.]egg-info/"
>
> this line will tell dpkg-source to ignore these files but they're
> already ignored - pybuild removes them in clean target and dpkg-source
> ignores deleted files.

It was also my impression, that this option can serve to silence the output of
dpkg-source, but has no further effect with respect to this subject. BTW for
complete silence the back slash at the end of the expression has to be removed.

> I think Mathias is asking about how to tell git that it should ignore
> these files as well. IMO you should ask upstream to not ship these files
> in git repo/tarballs or remove them in the first commit after each merge
> with upstream.

Yes, the question basically was: How can I ensure safe double building and
nevertheless return the build directory in the state it was before building.

Removing .egg-info after each merge (cherry-pick) with upstream would be a
solution, but a little bit ugly and error prone.

So until now it turns out for me, that the best compromise is to
- just remove .egg-info in clean is the best solution (no more needed with
  pybuild)
- when building from git the repository to restore with git reset --hard
  after building
- when building with git-buildpackage to use option --git-ignore-new

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6