[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Mathias Behrle mathiasb at m9s.biz
Wed Jan 29 13:30:30 UTC 2014

* Raphael Hertzog: " Re: [tryton-debian] tarball compression" (Wed, 29 Jan 2014
  13:53:43 +0100):

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > Yes. But who uses it for what purpose? As soon as the upstream tarball is in
> > pristine-tar, this is the relevant source. Does anyone control the source
> > tarballs of all those dfsg packages?
>
> I don't know of anything/anyone that verifies whether Debian source tarball
> matches the upstream source tarball, but I could see some value in that
> and hence I'd rather not repackage when there's no need to.

So a pure hypothetical issue.

> BTW, why are you speaking of "dfsg" packages (assuming those
> like wordpress who have an upstream version that embeds "+dfsg") ? Those
> are precisely the packages which have to be repackaged to remove non-dfsg
> compliant content and here we can affor to change the compression scheme
> since we have to repack anyway.

That was my point. There is a considerable number of packages, that can't be
checked this way anyway. So why impose strong rules on the rest?

> > For me a 30-50% faster upload is a significant difference with my small
> > upload. dpkg now using xz as default will have its rationales, too. Having
> > orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.xz for me is just ugly and inconsequent.
>
> Feel free to keep doing it for packages > 1 Mb. I tend to agree with the
> ugliness, but my first reaction would be to work with upstream so that
> they provide tar.xz.
>
> > > If you really care about this, you'd better convince upstream to provide
> > > xz tarballs.
> >
> > Upstream uses python standards and setuptools misses this feature.
>
> Nothing that can't be fixed, isn't it?

I don't get your notion here how to fix?

> > > I'm not going to reject packages because they are recompressed, but I
> > > would suggest you to not continue doing that.
> >
> > I will revert the changes introduced by Daniel and use gz tarballs. I am
> > tired of this discussion and it takes too much of my time.
>
> Don't revert for current packages. Just start using pristine upstream
> tarballs for every new upstream version that you package.

I will use it for Tryton 3.2 to have a clean cut. For the (non-official)
backports I won't change my tool chain.

> Out of curiosity, what are those changes ? What's the workflow that you are
> using ?

I am using more or less the git stuff workflow [1][2].

[1] http://tryton.alioth.debian.org/links.html
[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/git-stuff

Cheers

--

    Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6