[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed Jan 29 16:18:08 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > > Upstream uses python standards and setuptools misses this feature.
> >
> > Nothing that can't be fixed, isn't it?
>
> I don't get your notion here how to fix?

Someone can surely contribute XZ support to setuptools, no? I'm not saying
you should do this but my point was that it was possible to fix things
at the correct layer, instead of working around it at the Debian level.

> > Don't revert for current packages. Just start using pristine upstream
> > tarballs for every new upstream version that you package.
>
> I will use it for Tryton 3.2 to have a clean cut. For the (non-official)
> backports I won't change my tool chain.
>
> > Out of curiosity, what are those changes ? What's the workflow that you are
> > using ?
>
> I am using more or less the git stuff workflow [1][2].

What does it bring compared to equivalent tools (that are in more
widespread use) in git-buildpackage ?

I looked at
file:///usr/share/doc/git-stuff/packaging-workflow-with-git-stuff.html and
it seems to me that git-upstream-* is similar to git-import-orig (except
that it diverges uselessly on some points, so that git-buildpackage fails
to identify the correct orig.tar if you don't specify the right
--git-compression...). git-checkout-branches is replaced by gbp-clone/gbp-pull
and git-debian-changelog by git-dch.

BTW, it would be nice if you could add debian/gbp.conf in all the
repositories setting debian-branch=debian so that I don't have to remember
it.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/