[tryton-debian] tarball compression

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Fri Jan 31 08:22:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Mathias Behrle wrote:
> > What does it bring compared to equivalent tools (that are in more
> > widespread use) in git-buildpackage ?
>
> Generally it is much less bloated than git-buildpackage. The usage count is not
> a strong parameter for quality. Remember: there are more Windows users than
> Debian users. It just gives me the tools and flexibility I need.

I don't understand. What are you using to build packages?

Is it git-debian-release that builds the package ?

git-stuff is badly underdocumented...

> > I looked at
> > file:///usr/share/doc/git-stuff/packaging-workflow-with-git-stuff.html and
> > it seems to me that git-upstream-* is similar to git-import-orig (except
> > that it diverges uselessly on some points, so that git-buildpackage fails
> > to identify the correct orig.tar if you don't specify the right
> > --git-compression...).
>
> git-stuff utilities are just more flexible on this point.

Can you elaborate ? It looks to me that something that requires 1 step
with git-import-orig now takes multiple steps:

git checkout upstream
rm -rf
tar xf
git-upstream-add
git-upstream-tar

> > git-checkout-branches is replaced by gbp-clone/gbp-pull
>
> No. git-checkout-branches is meant to check out all remote branches.

I understant that but "gbp-clone" already checks out all the releveant
remote branches (and you can specifiy --all if you really want to track all
branches).

> > BTW, it would be nice if you could add debian/gbp.conf in all the
> > repositories setting debian-branch=debian so that I don't have to remember
> > it.
>
> It is on my TODO list and I am still pondering (for me it is (until now) not the
> preferred build tool).
>
> I would propose gbp.conf to contain:
>
> -----------------
> [DEFAULT]
> debian-branch = debian
> pristine-tar = True
>
> [git-buildpackage]
> export-dir = ../build-area/
> ignore-new = True
> # Use this for orig.tar.xz tarballs, subject to change in the future
> compression = xz
>
> Does this meet your expectations?

Fine for me. I believe "export-dir"/"ignore-new" should rather be left at the
discretion of the builder though. But I agree that the default complaint
on anything lying around is annoying so I'm OK if you keep it.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/