[Tts-project] Requesting sponsorship for Catalan Festival support
sergioller at gmail.com
Mon May 19 22:47:52 UTC 2014
2014-05-19 22:22 GMT+02:00 Paul Gevers <elbrus at debian.org>:
> On 04-05-14 02:58, Sergio Oller wrote:
> > dget -x
> d/copyright describes that festvox.orig contains original source, but
> that directory is missing. Either the statement is wrong or the package
> is violating the license. Or am I missing something?
Sorry to give you concerns about this. I wrote that statement some time ago
and I now think that the statement is wrong, so in my opinion there is no
license violation. This is the whole history:
In order to generate the voice models, the festvox  software is used.
This software includes some scheme templates (.scm scripts), in order to
make it easier to voice developers to build new voices.
festvox-ca-ona-hts/festvox/upc_ca_ona_hts.scm is based on one of those
Clause 2 of the festvox license states:
2. Any modifications to the source code must be clearly marked as
Based on this statement, I thought I had to provide the original template
on which festvox/upc_ca_ona_hts.scm is based, making all source code
changes explicit. However, more recently I found out that nobody interprets
this clause as I did: It seems (based on other packages' work) that a
comment saying "Customized for: upc_ca_ona, Extension to Catalan" makes it
clear that the source code is modified, preventing any confusion between
the original English template and the Catalan adaptation. In other words
"Upstream does not want third parties to silently modify their code so they
ask to mark clearly the source if there is any third party change".
Given this common interpretation, I decided to remove the English template
from festvox-ca-ona-hts upstream tarball. Unfortunately, I forgot about
This interpretation is supported by Festvox upstream, who has known for a
while that English templates are being adapted to different languages (I
can look for some references if you are interested), and they have never
complained about it. I believe that by putting the original template on the
first place I was being a bit too picky.
I hope this makes things a bit clearer now. I have taken the liberty to
push the d/copyright change, but of course if you don't agree I can revert
the changes and include the original template again (Personally I don't
like to include unused code copies from other sources in tarballs if I
don't have to, because they can get outdated quite easily).
Sorry for the extra work, and thanks for putting all the care in reviewing
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tts-project