[Tts-project] Is it allowed to change license statement? [Was: Requesting sponsorship for Catalan Festival support]

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Sun May 25 20:01:18 UTC 2014

Hi Sergio, debian-legal

Sergio, sorry to annoy you (one last time I hope) with this license.

On 21-05-14 00:54, Sergio Oller wrote:
> I have standarized to "Festvox". Given that the changes were
> formatting and a spelling mistake I have used the same text for both.

I am surprised by the fact that you changed the text of the copyright
statement as found in festvox/upc_ca_ona_hts.scm. That clearly states:
"CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY AND THE CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS WORK", which
you changed to "THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND THE CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS
WORK". I understand your reasoning, but as I am unsure if this is
allowed, I ask debian-legal here for advise. Is such a change to the
license statement allowed (even for upstream)?

For reference, you can find the current debian/copyright and the source
with the header here:
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tts/festvox-ca-ona-hts.git;a=blob;f=debian/copyright;h=d4ee07c3623f790e0b930ed28c45c7ee567538ff;hb=138ec71480eba981f4edee1f1ada2bb0d3e55bb4
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=tts/festvox-ca-ona-hts.git;a=blob;f=festvox/upc_ca_ona_hts.scm;h=66744bd0f4f48e53f7f437595ac11031a0045d71;hb=138ec71480eba981f4edee1f1ada2bb0d3e55bb4

Paul