[Tts-project] Speech feedback related packages

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Thu Nov 30 07:35:10 GMT 2023

Hi Igor,

On 30-11-2023 04:51, Igor B. Poretsky via Tts-project wrote:
> Incidentally, he noted that the packages must not change their
> version until sponsored. Thus, I've returned the first version in all
> uploads.

I disagree with the "must". It something I would do too, but I know
other people believe that every version released to the public (even via
mentors) is a release, so the version is "used" in their view. Also...

> 1) There are issues that actually should be addressed on the upstream
> level. Of course, I can fix everything by the Debian patches, but is it
> a point if I am an upstream developer myself? On the other hand, a
> package should not change its version until sponsored.

... this is an extremely good reason to change the version. New upstream
release to address issues in the right place.

> It turned out that a library package should be accompanied by a
> development package and should include nothing except the shared library
> itself.

The reason that this is the case is that we want different SONAME
packages to be co-installable. If you ship files in a place that remains
constant with a SONAME bump, that property gets lost. Creating a new
package just to ship a configuration file seems a bit overkill. One of
the challenges with configuration files is that during upgrades you need
to honor changes made by the system administrator, including removal of
the file. If you handle that correctly a bit of a hack could be to
generate the configuration file during the first ever postinst (of any
version of the SONAME), but you need to make sure you don't change it
later except with the consent of the admin. I'm not sure if this is sane
to do. You could also ship the configuration file in examples in both
frontend packages and leave it to the admin to install it from there.

Paul