[Tux4kids-discuss] SVN Menu Item and Maintenance on website

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Tue Jan 19 15:24:28 UTC 2010

Hi Matthew,

On Dienstag, 19. Januar 2010, Matthew McSpadden wrote:
> 2. Partly because I am very busy in real life, working two jobs and
> getting married soon, and partly because I can never get the SVN to work
> properly, I'd like to impliment some stuff that I have been developing
> for other sites. It would make it much easier for the admins and others
> to keep the website up to date without having to change code. It would
> simply backend into a MYSQL database and use PHP to pull out the
> information which means that news items, download locations and such
> could be changed from a web form rather than searching through the code
> itself. Let me know if this is something that we could do for the website.

This is something the alioth admins dont really like very much, "this" being
deploying custom written webapps. And I agree. The risk of running
unmaintained code with security problems one day is quite high...

A better solution would IMO be to switch the website to ikiwiki instead.
ikiwiki is nicely supported by alioth. see
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/ikiwiki

cheers,
	Holger