[Tux4kids-discuss] [GSoC] Tux Racing UI feedback

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Fri Jul 20 07:00:54 UTC 2012

Hi everyone!

The Tux Racing cross-platform/mobile game project is about 3/4 done, and
I would like your assistance in testing what is complete so far.

Thus far most of the work has been with the "infrastructure" part of the
app so it's not particularly interesting yet, but the rest of the game
is based on this so I need your help in verifying it works properly! So
please mess around with it a little and let me know of anything that
comes up, whether it's a bug or suggestions for improving the
aesthetics. I am especially interested in problems with the problem
generator or UI on desktop browsers/iOS/Android, although feedback on
other problems/smartphone platforms is welcome as well. Relatively
recent Firefox/Chrome/Chromium serve as a good reference.

Android APK (Android 2.2+):
https://github.com/klocatelli/TuxRacing/TuxRacing.apk/qr_code (May have
to temporarily allow non-Marketplace apps)
Web-based: http://www.klocatelli.name/TuxRacing/#/index (After loading
once, should work offline in relatively modern browsers)
iOS package will be released with the final version, but currently
pending response from Apple regarding beta releases

Notes:
- The only setting right now is mute/unmute. There's no music yet, but
if the setting switches between mute/unmute it's working.
- Expect *slightly* different displays between platforms (eg desktop
Chromium has nice gradient menu buttons, but Android 2.2 has flat blue)
- The game and problem generators are internationalized, but the only
locale is currently English. If your browser/phone/OS are set to a
different language, you might not be able to try any problem generators.
- Chemistry problems are meant place-holders, not final; Math uses
randomly generated problems and chemistry tests static test banks.

This release uses a temporary page for demonstrating the module practice
exercises; I have attached preliminary designs for the future practice
page/game and would appreciate any feedback on them (bare/basic as they
are right now) as well!

Thank!
- Kento