[Tux4kids-discuss] [GSoC] Tux Racing UI feedback

Kento Locatelli me at klocatelli.name
Fri Jul 27 06:00:08 UTC 2012

Hi Brendan,

On 7/26/2012 8:25 PM, Brendan Luchen wrote:
> Hi Kento,
>
> The stars thing confused me too; I couldn't figure out where they were
> coming from. Having fractions of stars isn't such a good thing to
> begin with, but keeping those fractions hidden by rounding makes
> things worse.
>
> Alternatives:
> - Every question is 1 star, longer lessons have more potential stars,
> making them more valuable
> - Instead of "Stars = x", show "Points = 3x / y" where x is the number
> correctly answered and y is total number of questions
> - Continuous "Star Bar" to illustrate the cumulative percentage. We
> can map the final score to 1-3 stars later. Can also use some kind of
> cute fuel metaphor.
I agree, displaying the stars/progress wasn't well thought out, it was
only intended to verify the problem generators were working properly.
That said, I'll probably just change the star display to be fractional
instead of integer. Maybe rounded to 1/4 star for display on the
exercise page, so it's obvious when an exercise isn't at 100%.
However now that I've started working on the game play, I'm not to sure
about the whole "stars ~ correct answers" idea... originally I intended
on having problem solving rate be proportional to player velocity, but
in that scenario it's logical to tie stars to finishing position (rather
than % correct). That system brings up other issues though, including:
ensure player is answering fairly and not quickly skipping
hard/answering easy questions, having the NPCs compete fairly, and
making stars explicitly represent speed but implicitly accuracy so the
game is still about racing while requiring high correct % to finish
first. NPCs is simple if problems specify finishing times for 1st/2nd
position. Exercise can also specify how long the game is,  how much
energy correct answers provide, and incorrect answers zero the energy
meter and have a cool-down time to prevent quickly the first issue.
Energy steadily depletes and the ship slows as the energy meter goes
down, so the player must continuously answer questions correctly. In
practice I'm not sure how well that solves the 3rd issue though... does
anyone else believe 100% correct answers should be required for 1st place?

> Some minor UI things I noticed
> - "Settings and Quit" doesn't need to be a submenu.
I'm not sure what you mean? On Android it would make sense to hide the
link since we have the menu button, but I'm not sure how to avoid the
settings/quit menu altogether.

> - Looks weird in landscape. Probably the CSS needs some massaging, or
> we can just force a portrait orientation, which isn't uncommon for games.
Which resolution are you using? For my devices portrait is the awkward
one, with tiny icons / text and large white space.

> - No indication of the correct answer (Pere mentioned already)
The lines didn't show up very well on the sketch scan but the lower
portion of the screen dedicated to answers will flash green and chime on
correct, and red + error beep on incorrect.

> Looks good on the whole.
>

> Cheers,
> Brendan

Thanks :D