[Tux4kids-discuss] Tuxcoding (mobile coding game) progress report

deneche abdelhakim adeneche at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 09:42:02 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

Here is a report of my progress: I've been successfully following the
working plan my mentor and I agreed upon at the start of the coding.
The game as it stands now is already in a playable state, with a level
selection menu and 10 levels available to play. The main gameplay has
been implemented and the player can "write" code by dragging commands
over the program's memory. The game started as a direct clone of
lightbot but I found some good assets for a platformer and decided to
make the game look like a platformer instead, this has the added
benefit of opening up a whole new set of possible commands and
challenges we can add to the game.
Here are some screenshots of the current build:

http://tinypic.com/r/fbhx07/5
http://tinypic.com/r/2hqxquc/5
http://tinypic.com/r/4sz2vb/5

You can try the flash version of the game here:
http://www.fastswf.com/YXLVEtU

Try to write a program so that tux (or the creature that looks like an
alien for now) collects all coins, the commands are as follows:
- W: walk one tile in the current direction
- Tu: turn and face the other direction
- J: jump up or down in the facing direction
- Ta: take what's on the current tile (coin or key)
- U: use the available key to unlock the lock (need to be just next to it)
- F1: call Function 1

Using Haxe as a programming language was really a good choice, and I
am glad I took the time to learn it, once the development environment
was setup, making the game run on desktop (flash and Html5) and mobile
(on my Android phone, my iPod touch and my iPad) was as easy as
selecting the desired target.

To try compiling the project by yourself :
- grab the latest version of the project here:
git at bitbucket.org:adeneche/tuxcoding.git
- install haxe, openfl and haxeflixel by following this guide:
http://haxeflixel.com/wiki/getting-started
- go the root directory of the game and run the following command
openfl test flash
(this will build and run the flash version of the game, you can change
flash with android/ios/html5/windows/mac)