[Tux4kids-discuss] publication permission

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 18:40:48 UTC 2013

Personally, I think it is fine.  I have been the primary maintainer of
tuxmath and tuxtype for most of the last few years, but I'm not the sole
copyright holder of the code and artwork.  IANAL, but my understanding is
that copyright law allows brief quotes and screenshots to be used for
review and journalistic purposes even for completely proprietary products.
You could completely cover the issue by saying that the programs are
covered by the GPL (v2+ for tuxpaint, v3+ for tuxmath and tuxtype) and
including the text of the licenses.  However, I personally think that would
be overkill just for screenshots.

Regards

David Bruce