[Tux4kids-discuss] TuxMath Project.

Pere Pujal i Carabantes perepujal at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:13:16 UTC 2013

El dv 11 de 10 de 2013 a les 18:49 -0500, en/na Juan Martinez Blanco va
escriure:
>                                                Universidad Veracruzana
>
>                                       Ixtaczoquitlán, Veracruz, México
>
>                                         Email: ju4nn_71291 at hotmail.com
>
>                                                     October 11th, 2013
>
> Faculty of Accounting and Administration
>
> Dear Sirs.
>
> I would like to introduce myself. My name is Juan Martínez Blanco and
> I am from Veracruz, Mexico. I am a computer science student in the
> fifth semester and I am realizing a project for the school.
>
> The main objective of this letter is for asking about the TuxMath
> project, because I would like to do an application like yours but an
> application for a cellphone with Android Operating System, I would
> like to use the tools that you use for develop it, of course with all
> the copyrights that it has.
>
> The project is for the school and I will not try to sell it or
> something like that, accordly to the free software principles, I just
> want to make that software for educational purposes and help to other
> people to learn the basic things about mathematics; specially the
> children.

I don't understand if you have to port tuxmath as part of your classes
or just give tuxmath available for Android devices at the school, if
this is the second case you could use one of the tux4kids mobile apps
that implements the same functionallity as tuxmath:

https://github.com/deepakagg/tux4kids-Android
https://github.com/klocatelli/TuxRacing

You could also provide a couple of mobile apps for learn to code and
learn algebra
https://bitbucket.org/adeneche/tuxcoding/wiki/
https://github.com/thomaswp/tuxblocks

See the respective licenses for each of them.

> Well, for the development of my project I will need your game and put
> into my application but with myself libraries using the license of
> basic for android what is the program where I develop my applications,
> I have some questions: Is the SDL library necessary for the game?

It is needed for tuxmath, yes

>  If it is necessary, Can I use it for my application? I will put it
> and I will not modify and I agree to respect the copyright like I have
> already said before,

again yes, under the LGPL license I thik, you could get better advice
from the SDL developpers at libsdl.org

>  May I use the pictures of your game?

I think tuxmath is under the GNU/GPL version 3 license.

> Almost everything is going to be like in your game, but for a
> cellphone, I just want your authorization for use it.

I think the GNU/GPL V3 license already grants you that authorization,
read it please :)

>                   Being all for now, I await a reply
>
>                                        Yours sincerely: Juan Martínez.

HTH
Pere
Disclaimer: I am not a tuxmath developer