[Tux4kids-discuss] Interested in contributing to Tux4Kids

scottmc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:12:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Tarang Agarwal <tarang8811 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Interested in contributing towards the project Tux4Kids
> mobile(building a mobile application). I have experience in building games
> and apps in Android and Windows.Could you please guide me how should i go
> about in contributing to tux4kids. .
>  Here is the link to the game that i have made in android:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trapps.hoppingegg.
> <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trapps.hoppingegg>
>

> Thanks.

This is a general reply to you and other potential GSoC 2015 students.
I've added this link the the tux4kids gsoc wiki page,
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch008_writing-a-proposal/  It's
the manual that GSoC mentors have put together over the year discussing how
to write a good proposal.  Be detailed in your timeline, explain what you
plan to do and when it will be done by, etc.  Read through that, and ask if
you have any questions.  Example work is a good start.  Look over past
projects that have been done for Tux4Kids in prior GSoCs.  Get an idea of
what is expected.  There are a few past projects that aren't quite
completed, perhaps looks those other and provide a patch or two so we can
see some of your skills.  For example, check the bug trackers to see what
if any current issues exist and see if you can fix them.

We have used NME/Haxx in some of the projects, students seem to pick it up
quickly as it's easy to learn.  The core programs TuxMath, TuxTyping and
TuxPaint were all written to use the SDL library.  SDL has been updated to
SDL2 in the last few years, and TuxPaint for one is moving over to use
that, I'm not sure on the other two.  It might be good to look over SDL2.
This should allow for these to work on multiple platforms, PC, Mac, HTML5,
Mobile, etc.

-Scott