[Tux4kids-discuss] Interested in TUX Paint - GSoC 2015

scottmc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:48:12 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Qiwen Gao <gqwgqw0916 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Qiwen Gao, a junior student in School of Computer Science and
> Engineering, Southeast University, China. I am interested in participating
> in TUX Paint for GSoC 2015.
>
> I have a lot of experience in C/C++ programming. I've done some JAVA and
> Objective C programming too. Since last month, I have been developing a
> Leap Motion application called LeapPaint for MAC. It allows users to paint
> with only Leap Motion.
> I have done many other interesting projects that can be seen on my
> personal website: https://qiwengao.wordpress.com/
>
> I have read your ideas page and I am interested in TUX Paint. I've
> download the source codes and I am going through them.
>
> Look forward to hearing from you.
> Thanks!
>
> Qiwen Gao
> Computer Science & Engineering
> Southeast University, China

Adding support to TuxPaint for the Leap Motion controller might be a cool
project idea, since you've already done some work with it, that might be a
quick thing to add, so you might suggest that plus adding other features to
TuxPaint.

For all potential students...
Figure your project should fill the entire coding period, working about
35-40 hours a week on it, so you can make a lot of progress in that amount
of time.  Make sure your proposal(s) contain a timeline of what you plan to
complete each week.  Also note any potential conflicts such as class or
vacations, or internships that might interfere with the GSoC coding period.

Also for all the students new to this list, I posted a general reply a few
days ago, here's the link:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/tux4kids-discuss/2015-March/000644.html

Dig into the source code, learn how it works.  Familiarize yourself with
any required supporting libraries etc.  We only have a few mentors, so it
won't be possible to respond to all the emails we get from potential
students.

-scott