[Tux4kids-discuss] GSOC 2015 - Lazar Nikolov - Introduction and Thoughts

Lazar Nikolov lazar.nikolov.94 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 21:46:15 UTC 2015

Hello guys!

I'm *Lazar Nikolov,* 20 years old, from Macedonia. I'm a student at
Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering in Skopje, Macedonia.
Currently I'm pursuing the Bachelor Degree of Computer Science and
Engineering. My main focuses are Web Design and Mobile App Development.
I've worked on freelance projects and turned some of my ideas into apps
as well. 3 years of experience in the field of Native Android
Development and 2 years of experience in the field of Website Design and
Development. By that time I've learned the following languages:*HTML,
CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, XML,* and the following technologies and
environments: *Android Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator,
Bootstrap 3, WordPress, PhoneGap and Cordova.* I've also won several
programming competitions. The last competition was a 36 hour Hackaton
where my friend and I developed an Android app where the students can
easily find companies who seek for interns (which is a solution to a
common problem in my country).

I'm interested in these projects: *Tux English* (I have experience with
JavaScript game engines), and *Tux4kids Mobile* (I have strong
experience with PhoneGap, Cordova and Native Android development). I'm
also on a Mac, so iOS won't be a problem too.

I haven't participated in the GSOC before, this is my first time, and
I'm willing to spend the whole summer on this project! What I like about
this project is that it's from the educational spirit. I think that
smartphones and other smart devices are, may I say, even better gadgets
that can be used for education! I strongly believe that the future of
education is going to be mLearning and eLearning. Today, in the era of
computers and technology, even little kids have their own smart gadget
that are using to play games. I believe that the games that we're going
to make together are going to be very fun and very educational for the
children. Great education is the most important things in this world!

Some of my work can be found here:
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lazar.pocketformulas :
My Android app for displaying math and physics formulas, targeted for
highschool and college math students.
- https://github.com/lazarnikolov94/PocketFormulas : The source code of
my app Pocket Formulas. I've decided to push it to Github.
- http://shoutfit.mobi/ : a PhoneGap app where the users can rate their
friends' outfis.
- http://maralalsafarilodge.com/ : a website for a lodge in Kenya, Africa.
-
http://lazarnikolov.labertsolutions.com/portfolio/design-improvisations/
: some design mockups for mobile apps. (That's actually my blog there,
but I don't have the habit of updating it much).

Thank you for the opportunity to work for you and I hope we're going to
hang out for the summer!

Wishing you all the best,
Lazar Nikolov