[Tux4kids-discuss] Interested in Tux4Kids for GSoC, need guidance

Eklavya Sharma sharmaeklavya2 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:36:48 UTC 2015

Hello. I'm Eklavya Sharma, from Bira Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India.
I'm interested in contributing to Tux4kids during GSOC. But I'm not sure what to do next.
I'm very comfortable with C and C++. I've been programming in them for 2.5 years.
I have checked out the source code of tuxpaint, tuxtype and tuxmath and build them.

I have shortlisted 3 ideas from the ideas page on which I would like to work (dec. order of preference), which are
1. Adapt Tux Typing to use the t4k_common library
2. Migrate Tux Math and t4k_common to SDL 2.0
3. Wallpaper tool/mode for tuxpaint

I tried reading tuxtype's source code (mainly main.c and a bit of titlescreen.c). I could understand broadly what was going on but it was difficult to understand all the details.
I've generated doxygen documentation for t4k_common. I tried doing the same for tuxtype but didn't succeed.
t4k_common's doxygen doc only shows the unit testing module, so I couldn't figure out how code is distributed among tux4math and t4k_common.
Since very less time is left to submit an application (I was busy with exams, sorry), I have turned to tux4kids mentors for help. Please guide me.

I started learning SDL 2.0 two days back. The best I've done is to made a
 program which loads an image from a bitmap file and display it in a
window. But I'm interested in learning more.
Apart from that the only experience I have with graphical programs is that of making a few Windows-API based programs a year ago, mainly using dialog boxes (A few months back I shifted from Windows to Ubuntu).
I mainly spend my programming time solving competitive programming problems.

The main problem I'm facing is that the code is large and I think it will take time to understand it well enough to get a crystal clear view of how I'm going to implement the project idea. Can you please guide me on what I should be doing in the coming days to be able to write a good application?

Best regards,
Eklavya Sharma