[Tux4kids-discuss] Need more information on Tux4Kids GSoC projects

Manraj Grover manrajsinghgrover at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:13:20 UTC 2015

Dear Sir/Ma'am

I am Manraj Singh Grover, currently in 3rd year, B.E., Netaji Subhas
Institute Of Technology, Delhi University. My skillset include C++, C,
HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Php, Python and have worked on Open Source projects
of my own as well as contributed to organizations like Mozilla and jQuery.

I was going through the ideas list mentioned here(
https://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2015-tux4kids/wiki/IdeasList)
and two ideas interested me.

First one being Tux Mind Exercise. I had worked on similar memory game
which was JavaScript based.(
http://manraj.collegespace.in/Experiments/Memory/) It is a basic memory
game which displays alphabets and show if two open cards match or not and
depending on that and number of moves taken to complete score is updated. I
would like to extend this further and include it in this Tux Mind Exercise
as a GSoC project. Further I see backend missing in the description given
here. Is it a fully offline app? If yes then I would suggest to use
localstorage to save progress. If not, then we can create a backend with
user details and progress saved complete with login feature(Php and MySQL
or any other choice). This will user play the game as and when he/she is
free. We will keep it responsive so that it is easily playable on mobile as
well. (PhaseJS or similar) Similarly we can think of task of varying
difficulties for memory power. We can also extend the same framework once
created for reasoning capabilities, speed, attention and flexibility once
complete. We can include levels of varying difficulties(Easy, Medium and
Difficult) as well. Various features can be added and need to be
brainstormed.

Second being LAN multiplayer for Tux Typing. This would require Socket
Programming and sending and receiving data on ports. There are various
libraries that make Socket programming easy in C++. One of them being Enet(
http://enet.bespin.org/). We can use the same for LAN multiplayer
connections and would help share data and scores among nodes.

One thing that I found strange is that there was no Sourceforge or GitHub
repository.I feel I was not able to locate one. Could you help point to it
so that I can start studying the code. I would also like to discuss the
proposal before submitting it on Melange.

Regards,
Manraj Singh
Secretary, IEEE NSIT
GitHub Profile <https://github.com/ManrajGrover>