[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tuxmath-devel] Tux4Kids main git repository?

scottmc scottmc2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:41:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM, Bastien Guerry <bzg at gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thanks for these clarifications, very interesting.
>
> I'm in favor of using free softwares as much as possible and of using
> a very limited set of inclusive communication tools.
>
> Using the debian repositories and a single mailing for all projects
> would do IMHO*.
>
> I very much agree with Holger about emails being more inclusive then
> Hangout, both by design and because Hangout is not free.
>
> I understand the idea of using github for the repos, and that's not a
> real problem if you decide to go this way.
>
> But I don't think using Hangout and Googles Groups is a good idea:
> it's not free software and it splits the attention into many tools.
>
> Anyway, back to my initial concern: Deepak, are you the official
> maintainer for the Tux* projects?
>
> If so, can you summarize the decisions on the repositories and the
> communication channels so that I advertize it accurately on the
> website?
>
> Thanks in advance!

> talk to eachother in a single canal.  Remember the "you-don't-have-a
> scalability-problem-yet" principle?  Same goes for communication: as
> long as you don't need to split your lists for various audiences, just
> use one list.  I guess 99% the -devel* mailing lists spread years ago
> just by imitation, because it seemed a well-established practice.
>
> --

all over to github so that they will be all in one location instead of
scattered amongst several websites. URL is  https://github.com/tux4kids

The Hangout was started by the Tux4Kids admin and is just those who are
signed up to be GSoC mentors for this year.  Same with the private google
group mailing list.  We use it to discuss the 100+ proposals we receive
each year, to narrow those down to the number of slots that Google
allocates for us.

I agree, we should narrow the mailing lists down to just a tux4kids general
mailing list instead of one for tuxtyping, tuxpaint, tuxmath, etc. Perhaps
we just move over to using tux4kids-discuss?  Also the setting on the
mailing lists here seem to be a bit weird, they should default the reply to
to be back to the mailing list and not to just the previous author.  Who is
the admin who can fix that?  It's annoying.

We should also require our GSoC students to post bi-weekly updates either
to the mailing list or a blog posting on the Github Tux4Kids site. This
year we will be able to keep a closer watch on the code commits with the
projects all hosted in the same place.  It was confusing to potential new
students to figure out where our code was and which repos were the current
ones.  Hopefully this will also open the door to others to submit pull
requests with fixes.  More discussion probably needs to take place on how
our workflow should be done, such as who will maintain each of the
projects, and accept/reject pull requests, etc.

-Scott