[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tuxmath-devel] Tux4Kids main git repository?

Bastien Guerry bzg at gnu.org
Tue Apr 19 21:22:45 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

thanks for your input.

scottmc <scottmc2 at gmail.com> writes:

> The Hangout was started by the Tux4Kids admin and is just those who
> are signed up to be GSoC mentors for this year.  Same with the
> private google group mailing list.  We use it to discuss the 100+
> proposals we receive each year, to narrow those down to the number of
> slots that Google allocates for us.

Fait enough, thanks for the explanation.

> I agree, we should narrow the mailing lists down to just a tux4kids
> general mailing list instead of one for tuxtyping, tuxpaint, tuxmath,
> etc. Perhaps we just move over to using tux4kids-discuss?

That'd be good, yes.

> Also the setting on the mailing lists here seem to be a bit weird,
> they should default the reply to to be back to the mailing list and
> not to just the previous author.  Who is the admin who can fix
> that?  It's annoying.

(The current setting is the good one: it's more annoying to send
private emails to everybody than to send a collective message to
just someone... and it's really a matter of hitting the right
button in your email client.)

> We should also require our GSoC students to post bi-weekly updates
> either to the mailing list or a blog posting on the Github Tux4Kids
> site.

Yes, that'd be great!  Just posting an email on a public mailing list
would be good -- then they can publish it on a blog, on github, where
they want really.

> This year we will be able to keep a closer watch on the code
> commits with the projects all hosted in the same place.  It was
> confusing to potential new students to figure out where our code was
> and which repos were the current ones.  Hopefully this will also open
> the door to others to submit pull requests with fixes.  More
> discussion probably needs to take place on how our workflow should be
> done, such as who will maintain each of the projects, and accept/
> reject pull requests, etc.

I'm glad to see the collective energy for moving things forward into
the right direction!  This will help a lot for newcomers.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien