[Tux4kids-discuss] [Tuxmath-devel] Further clarifications about maintainance

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Fri Jun 10 06:57:35 UTC 2016

>> Would be curious to know how many people are actually using the
>> internationalization
>> features and if anyone's willing to test them if modifications are
>> made.  Thanks.
>>

> I'd assume that any not native English speaker would use
> internationalization, I for one would want to help by testing, maybe
> even I could learn something from you to apply into Tux Paint.
> Will need access to the modified source code :)

I just had a look at the github, there is a PO directory with a few
translations already in there, and fetching of translations is handled
by intltool.

Good languages for testing are French and German (have accents or dots
on the vowels which can go wrong), Bulgarian (Cyrillic script), Arabic
(right-to-left and complicated script parsing - you might want to look
into the harfbuzz library, expecially if you are using Cairo), and the
Chinese variants.

Some of these languages might also need their own fontsets if their
symbols aren't covered by the default fontsets.

I have been working on internationalization support in a different game
(Widelands) which uses SDL directly. Fontsets are in

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/files/head:/data/i18n/

My implementation for Arabic ligatures + font set recognition is in

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/view/head:/src/graphic/text/bidi.cc

And my (simple) RTL algorithm + font selection by word is in

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~widelands-dev/widelands/trunk/view/head:/src/graphic/text/rt_render.cc#L733

The code is GPL, so do feel free to take anything you can use :)