[Tux4kids-discuss] Unicode line breaking and t4k_common

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 15:19:32 UTC 2016

I'm going through the t4k_common code used by Tuxmath and Tuxtype.  It
includes a linebreak directory with linebreak.c and some other files.
Looks like these were originally borrowed from gettext.  The gettext
package is no longer using this code.  I'm wondering if it's really a
good idea to keep using this if the original package is no longer
using it.  (Looks like there's been some patching since the version
added to t4k_common before it was dropped by gettext.)  There are two
other options that might be worth investigating.  Latest gettext has
the option to use libunistring (
https://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/ ).  FBReader and some other
programs use the liblinebreak library (
http://vimgadgets.sourceforge.net/liblinebreak/ ).

Since the linebreak.c code is dated, I think it might be a good idea
to switch to using a library (like gettext did) or at least update it
in some way.  Any preferences or suggestions on this?

I'm probably going to investigate libunistring at this point since
many Linux distributions may already have that library available and
may already be using it as a dependency when building gettext.

Sincerely,
Laura