[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSOC thread

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 14:46:49 UTC 2009

Hi Bristow

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Bristow Thankachan
<bristow.thankachan at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi David Bruce,
> I 've gone through the TODO list in the cheked out version911, will it be
> the project ideas for this years GSOC? Is the work already started on
> implementing these ideas?

No, that file is very outdated - thanks for bringing that up - I'll update it.

Briefly, here is what we are thinking of:

Tuxtype:
  - svg support
  - sound support for text (have program pronounce words to be typed)
  - improved font handling
  - addition of user-specific search path for word and phrase lists,
so people can add their own content more readily.
  - config/admin tool using gui toolkit (e.g. Qt4 but could be something else)

Tuxmath:
  - svg support
  - improved font handling
  - config/admin tool using gui toolkit (e.g. Qt4 but could be something else)
  - LAN multiplayer mode - need refactoring into client/server
architecture (could be applied to tuxtype also).

As you can see, the ideas are similar for both programs.

Apart from GSoC, both programs need ongoing code cleanup, especially
tuxtype.  Also, tuxtype could benefit greatly at this point from a
refresh of things other than the C code itself - high-resolution
backgrounds, completion of rest of menu sprite icons, more word lists
and phrase files, etc.

David