[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType progress tracking / reporting functionality

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Oct 21 21:18:10 UTC 2009

Hi all,

For some time now I've been working with my schools to integrate a good
typing tutor program in Linux/LTSP. I have 7 schools and ~1400 total
students using a program called "TypingMaster" (
http://www.typingmaster.com ) solely because it is the only application
that has a solid progress tracking system for students (this is required
for many schools). Alas, it is a big and clunky web-based java
application that crashes often, is boring for students, and teachers
simply hate it. This program, however, is really the *only* viable
solution for a typing tutor in Linux.

I want that to change.

I would love to start an open dialog regarding implementing progress
tracking in tuxtype. I know this will probably mean improving many other
aspects of tuxtype, including word-list improvements, more fine-grained
speed control of words/fish coming down for Tux to eat, and lesson-based
content such as how to use home-keys and sitting correctly. Right now,
TuxType seems to be a neat "game", but really has little value for use
in a school where they are really trying to teach students how to type
from the ground up and get up to something like 20-25wpm. TuxType,
however, has the absolute advantage of being fun for kids, animated and
engaging. If we fill in the gaps, I think this could be a killer app for
schools, and by itself would be a great reason to move to Linux/open
source applications.

So I guess my question is, how do we move forward? Someone on IRC has
introduced themselves and expressed interest in helping out the project.
His nick is "fasthans" and he is versed in databases and programming,
here's what he said in #edubuntu earlier:

"I am programming in java, groovy, beanshell with apache velocity. java
servlets, webapps. I am building a datawarehouse based on infobright
/mysql and pentahoe. I do a lot of data migration jobs, work with
databases, creating interfaces. work with windows and linux but mainly
linux"

Maybe we can all work together to make this dream a reality! I, myself,
have plenty of information on what kind of stuff schools need from a
typing tutor (reporting, progress tracking, administration-side stuff as
well as what kids enjoy). I'm a Linux/LTSP sysadmin for many schools and
hope to help this project out as much as I can - I'd love to see TuxType
used in all of my schools as their main typing tutor.

Please reply and let's start a conversation on this. Thanks!!

Sincerely,
Jordan

--
Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	IBM to deliver Ubuntu Linux computers instead of Windows 7
	PulseAudio creator talks about the future of Linux audio
	10/GUI: A new idea for interacting with your computer (video)