[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] TuxType progress tracking / reporting functionality

B. Luchen cheezmeister at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:56:06 UTC 2009

Jordan and co,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Jordan Erickson
<jerickson at logicalnetworking.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For some time now I've been working with my schools to integrate a good
> typing tutor program in Linux/LTSP. I have 7 schools and ~1400 total
> students using a program called "TypingMaster" (
> http://www.typingmaster.com ) solely because it is the only application
> that has a solid progress tracking system for students (this is required
> for many schools). Alas, it is a big and clunky web-based java
> application that crashes often, is boring for students, and teachers
> simply hate it. This program, however, is really the *only* viable
> solution for a typing tutor in Linux.

> I want that to change.

I hear you loud and clear. There are countless examples of overpriced,
outdated, or buggy apps (sometimes all of the above!) remaining the
"standard" in some fields just because no one has taken the time to do
it better.

> I would love to start an open dialog regarding implementing progress
> tracking in tuxtype. I know this will probably mean improving many other
> aspects of tuxtype, including word-list improvements, more fine-grained
> speed control of words/fish coming down for Tux to eat, and lesson-based
> content such as how to use home-keys and sitting correctly. Right now,
> TuxType seems to be a neat "game", but really has little value for use
> in a school where they are really trying to teach students how to type
> from the ground up and get up to something like 20-25wpm. TuxType,
> however, has the absolute advantage of being fun for kids, animated and
> engaging. If we fill in the gaps, I think this could be a killer app for
> schools, and by itself would be a great reason to move to Linux/open
> source applications.

Keep in mind TuxType/Math/Paint are cross-platform (although certainly
best-supported on Linux); agreed, it would be nice to see open source
continue to spread. Of the improvements you mentioned, a few have had
progress made this past summer from Summer of Code students. We've had
some work done on the word lists, and Michał Świtakowski can tell you
more about the administration GUI...

> So I guess my question is, how do we move forward? Someone on IRC has
> introduced themselves and expressed interest in helping out the project.
> His nick is "fasthans" and he is versed in databases and programming,
> here's what he said in #edubuntu earlier:
>
> "I am programming in java, groovy, beanshell with apache velocity. java
> servlets, webapps. I am building a datawarehouse based on infobright
> /mysql and pentahoe. I do a lot of data migration jobs, work with
> databases, creating interfaces. work with windows and linux but mainly
> linux"

Y'all should stop by #tux4kids, too :) I don't know much about
web/database programming, so what comes next most likely has a healthy
dose of ignorance, but I think it's safe to say that desktop apps'
databases are a different beast from the typical *AMP setup (?). In
fact, I'm not sure what the heck is typically used. We use plain text
at the moment. In any case, the first step is to decide what kind of a
model to adopt and what kind of records to keep (Play time, attempts,
WPM, student info). It should probably keep student records for
TuxMath/TuxPaint as well.

> Maybe we can all work together to make this dream a reality! I, myself,
> have plenty of information on what kind of stuff schools need from a
> typing tutor (reporting, progress tracking, administration-side stuff as
> well as what kids enjoy). I'm a Linux/LTSP sysadmin for many schools and
> hope to help this project out as much as I can - I'd love to see TuxType
> used in all of my schools as their main typing tutor.

The kind of advice you're offering would be *extremely* valuable! For
the next few months, we'll probably be focusing on solidifying the
Summer of Code work, but it would be good to begin throwing ideas
around, and they can be put on next year's idea list. I suppose the
first item would be to elaborate on what kind of records should be
kept--bonus points for explaining how you as an administrator want to
access it.

Cheers,
Brendan