[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] OSX build - ancient!

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:17:17 UTC 2009

Hi guys

I've just tested tuxmath and tuxtype after finding out that tuxpaint won't
start on MacOS X 10.6.1 Snow Leopard.

tuxmath is fine (YAY!) but the tuxtype build we seem to be shipping seems to
be ancient.

The file is called tuxtype_w_fonts-1.5-17-MacOS10.3PPC. I'd have to install
Rosetta to run the old PowerPC software.

Our current windows build is 1.7.5!

Looking at the releases page (https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=31080)
we do have a build suitable for MacIntel - the Universal Binary which would
run on both Intel Mac and PowerPC. TuxType 1.5.17 - OS-X 10.4+
Universal<https://alioth.debian.org/frs/?group_id=31080&release_id=1158>Could
the menu link to that instead?

Do we need to find a new Mac packager?

Also the website has grammatical errors on the download page.
"Either you love it or your hate it, but it is unforgettable Mac OS X.". I'm
not sure what we are trying to say here. It should be you rather than your,
regardless. Maybe we should point out that it is an old version?

The Debian-based should probably say Ubuntu too. In Ubuntu's case it would
be sudo apt-get install tuxtype or find it though the software centre.

The website mentions macports without saying what it is or where you find
it. I've googled and found:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/games/tuxtype/Portfile which
says we have 1.7.4. Can we have this available for download? Also Apple's
download area has tuxpaint (last year's) but not the other two.

Sorry if this sounds whingey.

Caroline