[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] non free sounds & better backgrounds

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Sep 16 09:38:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Donnerstag, 10. September 2009, David Bruce wrote:
> So, TuxType is now 100% compliant - hooray!

Hooray indeed!! Caroline, many thanks for your work on this!

> We should mention the licensing for the new sound files in
> README_SOUNDS.txt.

IIRC this has happenend already - I can't check atm as I'm writing this
offline and haven't updated my tuxtype svn checkout in a while...

But, IIRC there were some files which were only released under a Creative
Commons 2.0 licence, which sadly ain't free according to the DFSG... out of
my head I'm not completly sure whether 2.5 is sufficient, 3.0 is definitly
fine (provided it's the right CC licence, ie allowing commercial
redistribution..)

Instead of removing those files now, I'd propose to ask the authors to
relicence them under a 3.0 CC licence - IME most everybody is fine with that,
it just needs to be done ;-)

regards,
	Holger, who is really really happy about this and very confident that we will
sort out those pesky details :)