[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] GSoC - need mentors to review proposals

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 02:40:50 UTC 2010

Hello folks,

We received 36 student proposals by the deadline last Friday.  As of
this writing we have the following personnel registered as admins or
mentors:

Me - admin, will also mentor one student (tuxmath/tuxtype)
Caroline Ford - backup admin
Tim Holy - mentor (tuxmath)
Michal Switakowski - mentor (tux4kids-admin)
Akash Gangil - mentor (tuxmath LAN)
Bruno Dilly - mentor (tuxpaint)
Pere Pujal - mentor  (tuxpaint)
Jeff Bakst - mentor (tuxpaint)

The preliminary slot allocation is going to be done late Monday or
early Tuesday.  This year, Google will assign *at most* as many slots
as the project has mentors, and furthermore each mentor must be
assigned to a project to be counted.  Thus, we currently have an
absolute max of seven slots - three for tuxpaint, and four for
tuxmath/tuxtype/tux4kids-admin.  We probably will be assigned about
the same number of slots as we had last year (five).

So, if anyone else wants to be involved, get signed up asap.

For the rest of tonight, I am going to make a pass through all the
proposals and add a comment to all of them, without a grade, after
which I will go back and score them and tentatively assign mentors to
the promising ones.  Note that the mentors can be changed later,
however we *must* have each mentor assigned to a project by tomorrow
night or we will surrender that slot.  So don't panic if you get
assigned to mentor a project that you don't want - we have until April
21 to finalize our student rankings and mentor assignments.

Regards,

David Bruce