[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Question regarding compiling 1.8.0

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 13:35:15 UTC 2010

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Bruce Hohl <brucehohl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List:
>
> I have attempted to compile 1.8.0 on Puppy Linux 4.3.1.  This small
> distribution already has working packages for 1.7.0.  During
> ./configure of tuxtype_w_fonts-1.8.0 I got the following error:
>
> SDL_extras.o: In function `Set_SDL_Pango_Font_Size':
> /initrd/mnt/dev_save/tux4kids/src/tuxtype_w_fonts-1.8.0/src/SDL_extras.c:1448:
> undefined reference to `SDLPango_CreateContext_GivenFontDesc'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [tuxtype] Error 1
>
> I do have SDLPango-0.1.2 installed (from source from sourceforge):
> # ls -1 /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango*
> /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango.a
> /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango.la
> /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango.so
> /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango.so.1
> /usr/local/lib/libSDL_Pango.so.1.1.0

I think you are getting that because we use a function
(SDLPango_CreateContext_GivenFontDesc()) that is in the patched
version of SDLPango that is in Debian and most "big" distros, but not
in the unpatched version available from the SDLPango site.  SDLPango
itself doesn't seem to have been maintained for some time.

You should be able to build tuxtype by using "--without-sdl-pango" at
configure time, e.g."
./configure --without-sdl-pango.

(plus any other configure flags you might be using, if any).

Or you could look at getting the patched version built for puppy linux.

Hope that helps,

David