[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Migration to Git underway

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:36:08 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I've started the actual work on migrating tux4kids from subversion to
git at our alioth site.  The subversion repository is still up and
functioning, but I'd like to get the switch done within the next
couple of weeks.  I should have time to work on this during the
weekend of Jan 23-24.  So, I'd like to propose that we stop accepting
commits into subversion on Jan 22.

If you want to get used to git in the interim, I would highly
recommend git-svn, which provides a two-way conduit that allows you to
use git locally but interact with the current svn server with "git svn
rebase" (for "svn update") and "git svn dcommit" (for "svn commit").

One difference will be that there will be a separate git repository
for each project (tuxmath, tuxtype, tux4kids-admin, tux4kids-web, and
libt4kcommon) instead of a global repository for all of tux4kids, as
git does not support partial checkouts.

Our git repositories will live at alioth.debian.org/git/tux4kids/*,
and will be accessible via git://git.debian.org/tux4kids/*.  For
testing purposes, I have created /git/tux4kids/test/tuxmath.git on the
alioth server.  If you are curious, you can clone this to your machine
with e.g. :

git clone git+ssh://dbruce-guest@git.debian.org/git/tux4kids/test/tuxmath.git

(using your own login instead of "dbruce-guest", of course).  So far,
anonymous "checkout" isn't working.  When all the issues are
straightened out and we officially go to git, just use the above url
without the "test" directory in the path.  The other projects will be
tuxtype.git, tux4kids-web.git, and so forth.

Note that this test repository is just for playing around - feel free
to push changes into it, but these changes won't make it into the
official tree.  Put any uncommitted work in through the regular svn,
just so you get it in within the next two weeks.

Cheers,

David Bruce