[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] libt4k_common migration status

Brendan Luchen cheezmeister at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 00:29:01 UTC 2010

All,

More comments from the cookie factory :) I've currently got TuxMath and
TuxType using (as best I can tell) no local versions of T4K_Functions; in
other words, every function available in the library is being used where
directly applicable. In still other words, for every T4K_FunctionName in
t4k_common.h, all references to FunctionName have been replaced by one to
T4K_FunctionName via a dumb Perl script.

That doesn't mean that everything is migrated, though; more complex
functionality, such as Bolek's menu system, has a different interface that
needs to be found and changed by hand, and might need rewrites of large code
sections or other messy changes. Besides that, I'm sure there are similar
reusable items in TM, TT, or both that we haven't found yet, although that's
really more of an ongoing task.

At the moment, I'm ironing out some segfaults in TuxType brought on by the
"dumb" migration; it looks like titlescreen.c wants to load a sprite named
"easy" (among others) that isn't actually in the repository. Any hints on
what might be wrong? I'm not really familiar with TuxType's codebase (at
least, the parts that differ from TuxMath) so I might need some pointers as
I hack on it.

@Bolek, it looks like TuxMath's menu code is mostly similar to t4k_common's
but there are some small differences. Any chance you can easily recall what
the main changes are? If I could save the trouble of searching, that would
be great. If not, no big deal.

Cheers,
Brendan