[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] zh_TW.po for git version

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:52:57 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM, Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin)
<franklin at goodhorse.idv.tw> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Here is the translation of zh_TW translations.  I've merged it with current
> git version tuxtype.pot.
>
> However I have a problem.  When I tried our own translation, I put the
> tuxtype.mo to /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/.  However, it still did not
> show any Chinese characters.  It was still in English.  Is the path correct?
> In the Mandriva package, the other languages mo files were put in the
> /usr/share/locale.  However even if I used

The problem is that tuxtype still relies on the locale being set
within the program when the user selects a theme.  It does not use the
system locale as determined by environmental variables.  This is
something we need to fix.

Until we get the above issue fixed, I think you could get tuxtype to
display the menus in Chinese by creating a Chinese theme (look at some
of the other themes under data/themes) and having a line in the
settings.txt file such as:

theme_locale_name=zh_TW.UTF-8

(assuming the po file is encoded in UTF-8).

That still leaves the issue of Chinese character input, which I am
pretty sure tuxtype is not able to handle as things currently stand.
For that, we started to move the input methods code from tuxpaint into
tuxtype, but that work is not finished.

In summary, tuxtype doesn't yet support i18n nearly as well as it
ought to, but we are aware of the issues.

As for tuxmath, it should work.  Tuxmath does follow the environmental
variables, so something like "LANGUAGE=zh tuxmath" on the command line
ought to set the language to display Chinese, as long as you have a
locale installed corresponding to "zh".  Also, tuxmath relies on
SDL_Pango for display of non-Western characters, so you need to have
SDL_Pango enabled (which has been our default for a long time).

Hope that helps, and thanks for the feedback,

David Bruce

btw - for reasons I don't understand, setting the LANG variable (e.g.
"LANG=zh tuxmath") doesn't work, but setting LANGUAGE does - perhaps
LANGUAGE overrides LANG if both are found in the shell environment.