[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4Kids - call for GSoC 2011 mentors

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:27:43 UTC 2011

Hi,

Organization applications for GSoC are due in one week.  If we are
going to participate this year, we need to figure out who can serve as
mentor.  As far as I'm concerned, the following people could be
mentors:

1. Any previous GSoC student or mentor
2. Any other developer for Tux Paint, Tux Math, or Tux Typing who has
contributed code on at least several occasions.

Regarding the GCI students, at least two of you seem to be advanced
enough coders, but it would be rather awkward to have a secondary
school student serving as a mentor for a university student (although
I believe the rules do allow it).

No one else has expressed any interest in being the GSoC admin.  I
guess I can do it again, as long as others step forward to be mentors.

Regarding project ideas, I think we should stick with things that
either fix existing open issues, or add very self-contained
significant features (e.g. a new math or typing mini-game).  I don't
want to have GSoC projects result in unfinished business at the end of
the summer.

Replies are welcome with:
1. Offers to serve as mentor
2. Ideas for GSoC projects.