[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Question Tux Typing

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 16:02:16 UTC 2011

Hi Beth

> I have a question about Tux Typing.. I want to use it in the lab with my
> students and have them practice with their spelling words list.. is there a
> way that I can copy that list to my 23 computer without having to get in and
> type it on each machine?

You can certainly type the list once and then copy that file to each
machine, but there isn't a way to tell tuxtype to look in a different
place from the default for the word lists.

If your lab has windows machines like most schools, and if Tux Typing
is installed to the default location, the word lists (for English) are
located under:

C:\Program Files\tuxtype\data\words  (this is from memory, not at a
Windows machine right now)

If you go to that folder, there will be a series of text files:
alphabet.txt, animals.txt, astronomy.txt, etc.  You can create your
own word list file, put it in this folder, and tuxtype should find it.
 Use a text editor such as NotePad, not a word processing program like
MS Word.  The title of the word list goes on the first line, and the
words themselves are on each succeeding line (all capitals).  The file
name needs to have the ".txt" extension.

One alternative you might consider is installing Tux Typing itself on
a network location that is visible from each of your lab's machines.
For example, if the computers all have "My Documents" mapped to a
location on a server, you could install Tux Typing under "My
Documents\tuxtype".  You then would only have to add your custom word
list to this one machine.  I know people have run tuxtype this way,
although the program wasn't really written with this in mind and may
occasionally crash if two instances of the program try to access the
same data file at the same time.  Also, tuxtype runs a little slower
this way.

Hope that helps,

--
David Bruce

For all your software needs, visit The Apt Store:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main