[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] [Patch] Fix buzzer when typing <esc>

Marc Finet m.dreadlock at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 22:46:18 UTC 2011

The Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:03:24 -0500, David Bruce
<davidstuartbruce at gmail.com> wrote

> > I have a few other questions:
> >  - is there a coding style/recommendation ?
> >  - how should patch be submitted ? attached ? in-line ?
> >  - regarding the second point it might be linked to .mod handling
> > in SDL, as problem does not occur in 'playgame.c' aka cascade.
> > Patching audio.c to Mix_VolumeMusic(Mix_VolumeMusic(-1)); fixed
> > that problem but i'm not sure it's OK to add it to tuxtype as is
> > rather seems a SDL problem (debian is currently shipping an old
> > one, i.e. 1.2.8 which is a few years old... and problem might
> > have been fixed since then as mod handling part has been reworked)
>
> There are a couple places in tuxmath and tuxtype where the
> differences in SDL_mixer
> between 1.2.8 (Debian) and 1.2.11 (MacPorts, mingw-cross-env) show
> up
> - if the fix is specific to 1.2.8, we have an autoconf test (at
> least in tuxmath) that tells if we are using the old one.
I did not had time yet to go through this further, i.e. which SDL
version was impacted... but i'll try to investigate.

> >  - where is the best place to discuss about features/pb
> > encountered ? this list which seem (according to archive) more
> > spam than 'interesting' mails. I tried to create an account on
> > alioth, but was unable to login (might be a wrong password, but,
> > alioth did not give any entry point: webmaster, e-mail address...)
>
> This in principle is the correct list, but there has been very
> little tuxtype activity for several months. If you want to join the
> project, you just need to create an alioth account and request to
> join the tux4kids project.  Then you can have full (read/write)
> access to git. Anyone can use the git repos on a read-only basis.
> Hopefully any trouble creating an alioth account is temporary -
> haven't had that issue come up before.
I will try again in a while to see if it was a pb on my side or on the
server side...
I'm quite interested into participating into providing patches / new
features (well maybe not interesting only 'kids', as i do not (yet)
have one, but me (currently thinking of a mix of text and programming
symbols like [], &, (), *, +, -, &, ..., or start directly at a
given level); as tuxtype is a nice way to try to improve 'nice typing'
skills and is definitely fun:D, contrary to other softs i tried)

> Tuxtype is going to be getting a major overhaul as soon as I (or we)
> get around to it, namely refactoring it to use the t4k_common
> library that we split off of tuxmath so we reduce duplication of
> code between the two programs.
No problem to help on this... I must admit i did not even gave a look
at other t4k softs / implementations, hence my current 'view' is only
focused on tuxtype, but it's worth give a shot, at least to have a
full overview of soft 'features' that could be factorized (as i'm not
sure that other t4k softs would 'interest' me... )

> Also, we have had some recent discussion on the tuxmath list about
> eventually rewriting the programs in java so we can someday have a
> browser-based game and an Android port as well as the traditional
> desktop application, but for now that is just speculation.
Hum, as java is definitely not (yet :D) my domain in expertise, I
might not help, but, if envy and fun is there, why not give it a
hand. I might subscribe to tuxmath mailing-list too if much of the
t4k debate is done.

Thanks for quick answer,

Marc.