[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Tux4kids in GSOC 2012

David Bruce davidstuartbruce at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:56:50 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

Who is interested in mentoring for GSOC this year?  The organization
application period opens Feb 27, and the deadline is Mar 9.  If we are
going to participate, we need to get our mentors and our "ideas" page lined
up in the next few days.

Sadly, I've generally had less and less time for Tux4kids over the last
couple of years.  I can do the general admin stuff, but any GSOC projects
are going to need someone else to be the primary mentor.  I still can fill
in on an ad hoc basis if someone goes on vacation or gets sick.

As for ideas on the tuxmath/tuxtype side, a couple things stand out:
1.  Finally get tuxtype "ported" to use t4kcommon.  Tuxtype development has
basically been on hold for a while waiting for this.
2.  SDL 2.0 is finally out, and we should probably move to it.  I'm not
sure this would be enough for an entire project.
3.  It would be great to finally get some releasable code from
tux4kids-admin.

On a wider scale, I am increasingly convinced that it would be worthwhile
to have our project release some educational kids software for smartphones
and tablets.  From a licensing standpoint, only Android is fully and
unequivocally compatible with the GPL.  However, if we write new apps from
scratch we would be free to choose a different license (it just has to be a
Free Software/Open Source license).  My thought is that we could write some
educational minigames in Java that could be adapted to be Android app, Java
applets, or Java webstart applications while sharing most all the same
code.  I've been learning Java and Android with this in mind, but I don't
think I know it well enough to be a proper mentor.

As always, I defer to the Tux Paint folks for all issues related to them.

Any thoughts?

David Bruce