[Tux4kids-tuxtype-dev] Regarding Tux4kids Mobile (Peer to peer game)

rohit bhatnagar rohitbhatnagar85 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 04:16:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am a graduate student of National University of Singapore (NUS),
Singapore and currently studying Computer Engineering. I wanted to
contribute in developing the native Android application or a desktop based
app for Tux4Kids this summer. I am also applying in GSoc 2012.

I wanted to share an idea for kids to learn spellings while playing. the
game is called "Invasion of Alphabets" ( I had developed the desktop java
swing based application last year) but I will be fun to have a similar App
for mobile/tablets. The idea is as follows:

Objective - Score maximum points in the current game. With greater points
the
player moves up to higher levels to exploit the capabilities of that level,
thus gaining
more experience points.

- There will be two sides (one Attacker one defender). The attackers will
type words and click on "fire" after that the word will start moving from
left to right or top to bottom on the screen. The defender needs to type
the same word before the word disappears and click "defend". So if
defenders is able to defend the word he gets some points, if not attacker
gets the points
- Game can be supported with peer to peer network with multiple players
making teams .
- the Scoring can be mapped with a server so at the end of the game the
scores are uploaded to server and next time player can play with the same
points/level.

This will give 2 value add for kids:
- Entertainment value (for them to play and score more points)
- learning new words and typing skills as well

I would love to hear your comments on this idea. Please let me know if it
make sense and do you want me to explain in more detail

Also, I have created few apps earlier using RESTful apis/webservices,
google maps, voice recognition, blue tooth, client server XMPP ... and many
more functionalities using Android.
Here is a  demo of education related App which I had developed for NUS
students( in case you get free time please have a look)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttYoj0Gscg8&context=C434e414ADvjVQa1PpcFPHYh-VOp7UQRAhmuaju39k9Zo-JCfSTXs=

Thank you & Best Regards,
Rohit

Research Engineer,