SuSE 9.0 and minicom 2.1 (minicom-2.1-48)

David J. Looney dlooney@ucsd.edu
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:34:50 -0800

I have been using minicom for several years, and it has always served my
needs very well as a direct serial terminal, or as a dialup terminal
connection.  Thanks to all the developers for maintaining this
application !

I recently upgraded to SuSE 9.0, and my minicom version was upgraded to
2.1 (from I believe 1.89).  I have had some perplexing problems since
this change.   I have a Lucent winmodem (0x0440 and the 8.26a9 ltmodem
drivers installed), and the modem seems to work fine to send and receive
with efax and as a terminal with ckermit, but minicom refuses to dial
out unless run as root (permissions on both minicom and /dev/ttyLT0 are
root-uucp rw, and the modem lock file is created OK in /var/lock),
giving a plaintive "ERROR" with no other explanation after ATDT.

Also, when first initializing the modem, minicom seems to produce a
stream of characters "K  O  K  O ..." which can only be interrupted with
Ctrl-A commands (can't even type at&f or any other modem command). After
exiting minicom, the terminal appears normal after opening minicom a
second time (but any attempts to dial out as other than root fail, as
noted above).  Finally, while I have tried several different terminals
in which to run minicom (rxvt, xterm, gnome-terminal, xfterm), after
exiting minicom, it always seems to leave the terminal in reverse video
(sometimes black on black until the defaults were changed, and the
colors are not as stated in the setup dialog).

I'm downloading the source and trying to build the application myself,
thinking that perhaps something is amiss with the SuSE build, but was
wondering if anyone else had experienced similar difficulties, or had
any suggestions.

David Looney

--
Assoc. Prof. Medicine IR | Dept. of Medicine,  0678 | UCSD | La Jolla,
CA  92093-0678