SuSE 9.0 and minicom 2.1 (minicom-2.1-48)

Adam Lackorzynski adam@os.inf.tu-dresden.de
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:24:00 +0100

Hi,

On Thu Jan 15, 2004 at 10:34:50 -0800, David J. Looney wrote:
> I recently upgraded to SuSE 9.0, and my minicom version was upgraded to
> 2.1 (from I believe 1.89).  I have had some perplexing problems since
> this change.   I have a Lucent winmodem (0x0440 and the 8.26a9 ltmodem
> drivers installed), and the modem seems to work fine to send and receive
> with efax and as a terminal with ckermit, but minicom refuses to dial
> out unless run as root (permissions on both minicom and /dev/ttyLT0 are
> root-uucp rw, and the modem lock file is created OK in /var/lock),
> giving a plaintive "ERROR" with no other explanation after ATDT.

Sounds weird, could you investigate why it's only possible as root?
(e.g. with strace). I have a Suse9 here but without any modem or
similar.

> Also, when first initializing the modem, minicom seems to produce a
> stream of characters "K  O  K  O ..." which can only be interrupted with
> Ctrl-A commands (can't even type at&f or any other modem command). After
> exiting minicom, the terminal appears normal after opening minicom a
> second time (but any attempts to dial out as other than root fail, as
> noted above).

I can just say that I have used recent versions for dialing a few times,
and it worked for me.

> Finally, while I have tried several different terminals
> in which to run minicom (rxvt, xterm, gnome-terminal, xfterm), after
> exiting minicom, it always seems to leave the terminal in reverse video
> (sometimes black on black until the defaults were changed, and the
> colors are not as stated in the setup dialog).

I.e. you have (e.g.) a xterm, with -bg white -fg black, you start
minicom, screen gets black mostly, you leave minicom and it doesn't get
white again? I can't reproduce this behavior here.

> I'm downloading the source and trying to build the application myself,
> thinking that perhaps something is amiss with the SuSE build, but was
> wondering if anyone else had experienced similar difficulties, or had
> any suggestions.

Any luck with the self compiled version?

Adam
--
Adam                 adam@os.inf.tu-dresden.de