SuSE 9.0 and minicom 2.1 (minicom-2.1-48)

David J. Looney dlooney@ucsd.edu
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 17:27:58 -0800

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:24:00 +0100
Adam Lackorzynski <adam@os.inf.tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> > Finally, while I have tried several different terminals
> > in which to run minicom (rxvt, xterm, gnome-terminal, xfterm), after
> > exiting minicom, it always seems to leave the terminal in reverse
> > video(sometimes black on black until the defaults were changed, and
> > the colors are not as stated in the setup dialog).
>
> I.e. you have (e.g.) a xterm, with -bg white -fg black, you start
> minicom, screen gets black mostly, you leave minicom and it doesn't
> get white again? I can't reproduce this behavior here.
>
> > I'm downloading the source and trying to build the application
> > myself, thinking that perhaps something is amiss with the SuSE
> > build, but was wondering if anyone else had experienced similar
> > difficulties, or had any suggestions.
>
> Any luck with the self compiled version?

Works fine when compiled on my system (i.e., I no longer have to be root
to dial, and don't get the funky initialization, when exiting minicom
screen goes back to normal).  The defaults (including lock file name,
rtscts defaults to OFF vs ON for source build, default port is set
differently in configure.in) seemed to be different in the SuSE src rpm
and the tarball after applying their 2.1 patch.  I'm wondering if the
DVD binary rpm could be linked against different curses/ncurses headers
than what I installed ?

As building from source has fixed the problem, I'm probably not going to
spend much more time on it, but it certainly was curious.  The moral of
the story is of course to go to the source ....

Dave Looney

--
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle