[Nut-upsuser] My Back-UPS RS 1000 went haywire, any ideas?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Oct 29 00:09:20 BST 2023

Gennadiy Poryev via Nut-upsuser <nut-upsuser at alioth-lists.debian.net>
writes:

> I took an external voltmeter and made sure that actual input voltage
> is around 223 V and is not changing. However, each successive run of
> upsc indicated drastically different "input.voltage", arbitrarily
> jumping from 160 V to 280 V. Besides this, no other values seemed
> abnormal.
>
> Is this something that can be fixed in-house? Or something widely
> known about this particular model and/or vendor? I'm puzzled. Please,
> advice. Sorry for the offtopic once again.

I would guess one of

  Something is flaky and the power is not as good as it seems, or the
  wiring from power strip where you are measursing to UPS input is off.
  I would definitely remove and re-seat everything you can.

  The circuitry that senses voltage is off.

  The neutral is open and then all bets are off.  Did you measure hot to
  neutral, hot to ground, neutral to ground?  You say 230 and I'm
  guessing this is in a place with 230V outlets.  (In the US we have
  125V with neutral and 250V phase to 180-out-of-phase phase, for
  "single phase" service.)

  So actually, check the neutral inside the equipment.  Power it all
  down and unplug and be super careful as UPS devices have power inside
  when they are off and unplugged.