[Android-tools-devel] removing src:android-tools

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Feb 9 09:14:33 UTC 2016

Scott James Wakeling:
> I've been watching the recent FTP uploads. Well done on the great work!
>
>> [...] So I think its
>> still safe to remove android-tools from Debian, unless someone wants
>> to maintain that specific aspect of that package in Debian.  I don't
>> have the bandwidth or use case for that though.
>
> With adb and fastboot now coming from platform/system/core, do we gain
> anything by continuing to maintain the old android-tools? If it's
> purely of benefit to the transition, "Provides:" seems good enough.
>
> -scott

Ubuntu Touch uses their own custom Ubuntu version of that package to
provide adbd, in which case the Ubuntu device that has adbd installed is
playing the role of the Android device rather than the desktop.  That
functionality has not been maintained in the Debian version of the package.

I think its important that people can still `apt-get install
android-tools-adb` since there are a fair amount of docs, forum posts,
etc that mention that and `apt-get install adb` is not yet known.

.hc