[Android-tools-devel] RFS: android-platform-libcore/6.0.1+r16-1

Chirayu Desai chirayudesai1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:24:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM, 殷啟聰 <seamlikok at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Markus and Hans,
>
> The reason of providing Java source files in android-platform-libcore
> is because we use Doclava to analyze all Java source of the Android
> platform framework and generate some API stubs which are Java sources
> having only the definitions but not the implementations, much like a
> header file in C/C++. And "android.jar" is built using these API
> stubs. All compiled classes are bundled into a single "android.jar",
> so we are not building any separated Java libraries.
>
> I successfully built "android.jar" in the android-jar-old branch [1]
> and after I compare this "android.jar" to the upstream one I found
> that it is not enough. We need 2 more repos:
>
>   * https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/opt/telephony
>   * https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/opt/net/voip
>
> I find it unacceptable if we are also building another 2 binary
> packages containing Java source files and with version string in the
> package names. So it would be better if we combine
> android-platform-libcore and this 2 repos into one single
> src:android-platform-frameworks-base.
Or it could be a new single src:android, preserving the upstream
directory structure.
i.e.
android
    frameworks
        base
        opt
            net
                voip
            telephony
    libcore

and so on.

However, it might get too big.
Also, existing packages, mainly from
src:android-platform-frameworks-base would have to be migrated.

Is there any other saner way?
Could we perhaps use git submodules (or upstream's 'repo' tool) in some way?