[Android-tools-devel] package: android support m2 repository installer

Markus Koschany apo at debian.org
Mon Jun 27 15:36:25 UTC 2016

On 27.06.2016 17:01, Chirayu Desai wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 5:06 PM Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at
> <mailto:hans at at.or.at>> wrote:
>

>     Checked out the new repo, two things:
>
>     * when working on a package, you should only modify things in the
>     debian/ folder, the upstream sources need to be modified via patches.
>     There is a 'copyright' file in the root of the project
>
>     * .gitignore should be moved to debian/.gitignore and then "debian/"
>     stripped from the paths in that file
>
> I have had this question for a while, and was also thinking of adding
> gitignores to all our repos.
> Is it not preferable to add it to the root of the repo?
> Some packages leave artifacts there, and there's some generic debian
> build related things too.
> So would it be okay if I added a .gitignore to
> android-platform-frameworks-base, with it's contents being:
> aapt
> aidl
> libaapt.so
>
> etc.
>
> If not, then what should we do to ignore these files? Move them to
> another directory perhaps?

You don't usually need a .gitignore file for the Debian packaging. I
suggest to build the "final" package with cowbuilder or sbuild in a
clean chroot. A great tool for building packages and working with Git is
git-buildpackage.

If you use debuild for regular package builds, I suggest to create a
macro/shell alias that executes

git checkout . --
git clean -fd

after the build. I would also check Debian's clean target whether it
really removes newly created files when you try to build a second time
in a row.