[Aptitude-devel] Translation doubt

Daniel Burrows dburrows at debian.org
Tue Jun 23 02:18:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:19:39PM +0200, Omar Campagne <ocampagne at gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I am translating the aptitude user guide, and I've found the word "tier"
> several times. I'm finding several translations for it, such nivel
> "level" and so on.
> However, what do you think that best expresses the meaning in spanish?
> Or at least, what is the precise meaning of "tier" in this context?

  In this case, it's "tier" in the sense of "level" -- that would
probably be a decent translation.  Tiers are arranged from earliest to
latest, and solutions slot into tiers; aptitude doesn't move to a later
tier until it's sure there's no solution in any earlier tier.  I think
of them as being a bit like a terraced field, for instance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Landscape_in_Sa_Pa_(Vietnam).jpg

  The search climbs the mountain until it reaches the top. :-)