[Aptitude-devel] Closing all remaining aptitude-gtk bugs?

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo manuel.montezelo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:08:27 UTC 2012

2012/4/25 Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>:
> Hrm. So basically they're kept open because
>
> a) people using it in Squeeze may look for them
> b) people who want to resurrect aptitude-gtk should easily find them.
>
> Would closing them with 0.6.6-1+rm and tagging them with "squeeze"
> help?
>
> For finding them again later, some user-tags could be appropriate,
> too, but only if someone tells it the potential resurrector.

Well, that's only my opinion.  I just find it awkward to close bug
reports affecting different releases just based on the status on the
most recent one (still in preparation, even if many people --including
me-- use it directly), when the other releases are going to stay
active still for a few years.  And specially in Debian, where stable
releases are so fundamental and embedded in the culture.

My motivation for not closing them is to help users of stable to know
that aptitude-gtk is buggy and shouldn't be used, and avoiding to have
them wasting time trying to figure out why things are not working or
submitting bug reports of that (which, ultimately, it'll also waste
time of the maintainers).  I don't know if my proposal is the best way
to avoid that, but I don't think that it's possible to warn users in
any way if all of the bugs are closed.

Further up that thread, there's also my proposal to create a new bug
(or merge all of them in once) clearly explaining that aptitude-gtk is
known to not work and leave it like that -- so there's only 1
distracting bug open, instead of 10-20.  I also proposed to link to
the previous thread in the "unified" bug report, because there's a
summary of all the reasons why aptitude-gtk is not working and it's
going to be disabled.

You surely know better than me the accepted practice in Debian and the
best way forward.

Cheers.