[Aptitude-devel] My first commits to the repository and question about future releases

Axel Beckert abe at debian.org
Mon Jan 16 00:47:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo wrote:
> I commited the first changes to the repository, trying to separate
> things in master and debian branches.  I think that I didn't mess
> things up, but please review!

You even marked stuff fixed in the repo as pending in the BTS!
Perfect!

> The changes were incorporating NMUs and a couple of minor fixes to the
> documentation,

Looks fine for me in the repo.

> removing .hg* files (from the Mercurial repository, so not needed
> now)

Sounds sane for me. And in case we need something from them in the
future, they're still in the git history.

> and adding myself to the control file to be able to upload releases
> in the future

Yeah, lintian would argue if you're name stands at the end of the
changelog entry and you're not in the uploaders (or maintainers)
field.

> This has to be approved by a Debian Developer anyway in a future
> release, I hope to have gathered enough trust by then.

Well, there are two ways. The one would be sponsoring, i.e. you
prepare the package and a DD reviews and uploads it.

But as you added already a "DM-Upload-Allowed: yes", I suspect you're
heading towards becoming a DM to be able to upload the package
yourself. For that at least one sponsored upload is needed though.

> Speaking of which, any idea about when should we make a release?

Not me yet. :-)

> I don't know if it should be after a while, to fix as many things as
> possible, or if it would be better soonish to acknowledge NMUs and
> release all of the fixes pending.

It's probably not a bad idea to fix all the easier and less intrusive
stuff which is in now in before starting with the heavier stuff.

Additionally you name would show up on
http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/aptitude.html and people (who don't
read Planet Debian ;-) would see that something's going, too.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin