[Aptitude-devel] old bug - new maintainers... #137771

Daniel Hartwig mandyke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 03:33:38 UTC 2012

On 28 March 2012 22:46, Faheem Mitha <faheem at faheem.info> wrote:

> I've been following the resurgence of aptitude development with interest.
> After Daniel's long time sterling work on aptitude, it seems he has decided
> to retire from aptitude development. Anyone know the story there?

Right now I would consider him to be missing in action, rather than retired :-)

No idea what the story is.  As far as I am aware he has never
responded to any of our queries back in November.

> I'm just writing regarding Debian bug #137771 (
> http://bugs.debian.org/137771 ), which just enjoyed its 10 year anniversary.
> :-)
>
> I don't know how difficult it is to fix, but it is not an insignificant bug.
> Is anyone planning to take a look at it? Comments?

Been aware of this issue with holds since I began working on aptitude.
 At the moment I have not given it a thorough look as my focus has
been on getting multi-arch working.

It's age and significance does intimidate me a bit.  There is also the
matter that aptitude somewhat "interprets" dpkg states on startup to
determine what, if any, changes and how they should incorporate in to
it's internal state model.

Be assured that this one will not be left alone -- I am always mindful
of it when looking at related areas of the code.

Regards