[Aptitude-devel] Removing mafm commit access

Manuel A. Fernandez Montecelo mafm at gmx.pt
Wed Mar 5 19:59:38 UTC 2014

>Hello,
>
>On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Daniel Hartwig <mandyke at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I am not satisfied with the quality of commits Manuel is making.  As
>> the long standing maintainer, I am removing his commit access until
>> such time that the quality of his patches improves.
>For future research purposes you could indicate which commits from
>Manuel are those which you are not satisfied. Which percentage of
>commits you are not satisfied ?

The commits are present in the VCS in alioth, even if Daniel reset the
branch (stable-0.6) to the commit previous to these ones (see [1] and
[2], to address [3] and [4]).

The mistake was the removal of an unused variable "quiet" going in the
next commit instead of the previous one, to which belongs.  I was about
to fix it, minutes after Daniel told me about the mistake, when I found
that all my access to commit to aptitude had been revoked, and I had
been removed as admin and member of the group in Alioth.  There was no
exchange of private messages or any angry discussion previous to that,
just what you can see in these bug reports.

The removal of "quiet" is necessary, by the way, because "-Werror" made
it abort compiling (means: "abort compilation when any warning of the
enabled set is issued", in this case, "unused variable").

> At least you should give an advice about the fact, for example you
> could ask to Manuel to create a branch with his changes (like Axel
> proposed a time ago).

I commited to stable-0.6 directly because they are bugfixes for 0.6
(nothing specially dangerous there, and the commits are quite trivial),
and because in any case they were discussed in the BTS (without any
input from 9th of Feb until 2nd of March), with enough time to give
input and so on (1 or 2 weeks were mentioned when discussing the
proposal from Axel, for example).

> PD: Sorry for my english

Not bad at all :-)

And thanks for your words.